Friday, July 17, 2009

This Love is Dangerous

Q: Eleven years and counting I have been in an abusive relationship. My SO was diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder with antisocial traits. I have looked this up on your site, but feel things have progressed to Narcisistic Borderline Personality Disorder. Now, is there any hope or any use of me continuing on with trying to get my SO to seek medical and therapy intervention when he won't even acknowledge that he has a bonafide psychiatric condition? Or should I just try and escape before he kills me? It's that close. Right now he is rapid cycling all over the place. He cannot even function in activities of daily living or even remember the simplest task that needs to be done for the day. I am at a loss here. I have tried to talk with the M.D. and psychologist but neither is aware of his condition. There has been no intervention on either of their respective sides. This man is not medicated and is a danger to himself.

A: Get away from this man before he kills or injures you! Of all the psychiatric diagnoses, personality disorders are nearly impossible to treat. There is no medication or therapeutic intervention that can save your significant other from himself. The fact that he refuses to acknowledge having a problem in his personality style precludes any hope of therapeutic intervention. Having antisocial personality traits almost guarantees failure. No matter what he may tell you, or how he may try to manipulate you to stay, get out! Please contact me if you need referrals to resources.
Be well and stay safe,
Michael

No comments: