Sunday, July 26, 2009

You Can't Go Home Again

Q: I moved out of my parents' house last year. It's been okay, but everything is so expensive I don't know if I want to continue like this. I can pay my bills, but that's it. If I moved back home I could save about $800 a month. Problem is I really don't get along with my parents or my sister. I'm torn about what to do.
Saver not a spender

A: I think you answered your own question when you said that none of you get along in your family. I know you feel the general sense of anxiety about finances, but it sounds like you have the means to live on your own. What price tag can you put on your sanity?

There's something to be said for being on your own. I don't know how old you are, but moving back home can be a reversion to childhood. This can mean you're treated like a child again, and it can also mean that unconsciously you want to retreat to the safety of childhood, no matter how uncomfortable it was. I know that for some the end result of moving back can be an unexpected crushing blow to their sense of self-esteem. I would advise you to carefully weigh the options. You could give the old tried and true method of listing all the pros and cons of each. But most importantly, the decision has to come from your feelings. After all, they will be your constant companion no matter what you do.

Be Well
Michael

No comments: